Swelling in face or jaw is a matter of serious concern and should not be ignored. It can happen due to many reasons like abscess, salivary gland swelling etc. Detailed examination and precise treatment is required from experts in Oral Medicine & Radiology.
The American Academy of Oral Medicine defines the field as follows:
Oral medicine is the specialty of dentistry that is concerned with the oral health care of medically compromised patients and with the diagnosis and nonsurgical management of medically related disorders or conditions affecting the oral and maxillofacial region.
Following are the fundamentals:
- Recognition of the interaction of oral and systematic health
- Integration of medical and oral health care
- Management of pharmacotherapeutics necessary for treatment of oral and systemic diseases
- Investigation of the etiology and treatment of oral diseases through basic science and clinical research including vital tissue staining, cytology, biopsy, etc
- Research, teaching, and patient care
- Provision of care for medically complex patients and for those undergoing cancer therapy
- Prevention, definition and management of disorders